From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage spokes again...
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:04:58
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 12/21/2016 06:59 AM, Matthias Hanft wrote:
4 >> Corbin Bird wrote:
5 >>> The "sys-fs/eudev" package is the Gentoo fork of "sys-fs/udev" for
6 >>> people who don't want systemd.
7 >> Ehm... I still use "sys-fs/udev" (not eudev) without systemd.
8 >> No problems so far. Do I have to worry?
11 > It is currently part of the systemd code base. ( It was merged in some
12 > time back. )
13 > The ability to separate "udev" code from "systemd" code is going away
14 > very soon.
15
16 People have been saying that for years. Maybe it will happen some
17 day, maybe it won't.
18
19 The sys-fs/udev package only works without systemd. It is the
20 upstream udev implementation.
21
22 > So if you want to run "udev" ... you going to be running "systemd". No
23 > choice.
24
25 If that ever happens the udev package will go away. Its only purpose
26 is for running udev without systemd.
27
28 By all means make an informed decision about whether you want to run
29 udev or eudev. However, the udev package will never require systemd
30 to be installed.
33 Rich