From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pam_permit on optional by default on pambase-20101024, but documentation says very dangerous
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 06:31:30
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 04:54 on Wednesday 08 December 2010, Mark
2 David Dumlao did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi.
5 > I'm usually slow at updating my gentoo machine, and I think I was
6 > behind by about a month from last update. Anyways, I noticed that the
7 > recent pambase-20101024 has pam_permit optional on for auth, account
8 > and password in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
9 >
10 > That didn't sound real neat, so Iooked it up in the manual and it says
11 > "very dangerous, use with extreme caution."
12 >
13 > Following their advice, I look up pam_permit and try to understand why
14 > anyone would put it on by default, but the google hits I get on
15 > pam_permit are very terse.
16 >
17 > What does pam_permit do when set to optional for auth, account,
18 > password and session? Clearly I don't want my pam to start letting in
19 > everybody, but I doubt the gentoo team would either, so maybe I'm just
20 > misunderstanding.
21 >
22 > In the meantime I didn't allow it in.
25 The pam maintainer usually blogs about his changes:
26
27 http://blog.flameeyes.eu
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com