From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Networking problems
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 03:02:15
1 I seem to have some network issues with my gentoo install
2
3 I have /etc/init.0/net.eth0 configured to run at the default runlevel.
4 It appears to startup ok. No firewall has been installed yet.
5 The network appears to startup eth0 correctly, obtaining a dhcp address from my
6 cable provider via the router.
7
8 The problem is that I do not seem to have a network connection.
9 pinging http://www.google.com produces no response.
10 attempting to emerge x11-xorg gives a 'temporary failure in name resolution'
11 pinging the router ip address similarly elicits no response.
12
13 The etc/conf.d/net file contains
14
15 dns_domain_lo="homenetwork"
16 config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
17 dhcp_eth0="nodns nontp nonis"
18
19 The /etc/conf.d/hostname file contains
20
21 HOSTNAME="tux"
22
23 If I run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart, I get
24
25 Unmounting network filesystems
26 Stopping eth0
27 Bringing down eth0
28 Stopping dhcpcd on eth0
29 Starting eth0
30 Bringing up eth0
31 dhcp
32 Running dhcpcd
33 eth0 received address 192.168.2.4/24
34 Mounting network filesystems
35
36 With the corresponding 'OK' comments on the right of the screen.
37 Nothing extra appears in dmesg in response to this command.
38
39 Any advice gratefully received.
40
41 Thanks in advance