From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ABI_RISCV -> emerge wants to do heaps of work...
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 08:13:40
1 On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 02:32:14 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > > I usually stick with -U (--changed-use) instead, when emerging world.
4 > > This only rebuilds packages when the flags *change*. Give that a
5 > > go.
9 > Ahh, I see now what's going on. The problem is that if I do a
10 > "-uD" now, and get just the updates, it just "kicks the 290 further
11 > down the road" until I next do an "-NuD", which if memory serves has
12 > always been the recommended way of updating - according to the gentoo
13 > wiki/doco. I might as well get it over and done with now...
14 >
15 > Yes, just tested. "-uD" -> just updates. "-NuD" -> updates +
16 > 290 odd rebuilds.
19 -u is not the same as -U.
20
21 The advice was to use -U instead of -N. Both look for USE flag changes,
22 but -U only rebuilds if those changes affect your system. So use -uUD and
23 all should be well.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 A real programmer never documents his code.
30 It was hard to make, it should be hard to read