From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:59:55
1 On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:35:13 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I suppose you and Jesus are right, but what about cruft removal? Are
5 > you saying Gentoo is 100% cruft-free? I've got a lot of junk in /etc
6 > and especially ~/.*
7
8 Oh, that's not a bug, it's a feature (C) some_unknown_company
9
10 AFAIK portage won't remove any changed (by hand) files in
11 CONFIG_PROTECT paths, and I've certainly can't remember a package,
12 which installs anything into ~.
13 Of course, if you'll launch installed app it'll create some config,
14 temp files, etc, but that'll only affect the paths to which it has
15 access, and that's probably only your ~ and /tmp.
16
17 And as soon as portage will start to "clean up" your home from
18 app-created files like, say, some documents you've spent weeks working
19 on, it'll certainly make it to the top-10 evil linux viruses out there.
23 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net