From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 20:24:18
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 07/06/2020 10:07, antlists wrote:
3 >> I think it was LWN, there was an interesting article on crypto recently.
4 >
5 > https://lwn.net/Articles/821544/
6 >
7 > Cheers,
8 > Wol
13 Looks like they are getting ready to toss sha1 overboard.  If it is not
14 secure, they should.  At least most people who should know, already know
15 it is not secure.  I didn't have the details but I knew something was
16 hacked and asked to be sure.  I ended up using a AES one.  I did set up,
17 using zulucrypt at the moment, to encrypt a 3TB external hard drive.  So
18 far, it is working fine.  I've closed it a few times and opened it a few
19 times.
20
21 The one thing I have not figure out yet, about to look into it, how to
22 mount it to a place I pick.  It's likely a setting I haven't noticed yet
23 but I'll find it.  Still not ready to even think of doing /home yet
24 tho.  That's a doozy.  I guess first I'd have to move everything off the
25 drives it's currently on, encrypt that drive and then move everything
26 back.  Another thing, having a secure password that is easy to type and
27 remember but can't be guesses.  Anyone remember the thread when I came
28 up with a password for PGP and LastPass a year or so ago???  It took me
29 a month to accomplish that but it is a good one.  Then I got a cell
30 phone.  Easy to type on the keyboard, not so much on the cell phone
31 tho.  Still, it works well.  It is a good one.  Good luck to anyone
32 trying to guess it or even hack it.  lol
33
34 I wish my other drive would have worked.  I'd like to be able to compare
35 things.  They are both the same brand and size.  Likely even the same
36 model.  But it has some serious issues.  Even smartctrl was having
37 trouble chatting with the drive.  That's bad.
38
39 May redo the drive but with command line tools this go around.  Just for
40 giggles.
41
42 Thanks again.
43