From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using package.provided
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:39:24
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Harry Putnam wrote:
4 > > I'd like to stay on kernel-4.1.6, rather than keep installing the
5 > > newest version at each upgrade.
6 > >
7 > > As I recall, and a quick look at `man portage', a file named
8 > > `package.provided' is meant for such things.
9 > >
10 > > The syntax is not described in detail... I tried these:
11 > >
12 > > /etc/portage/package.provided
13 > >
14 > > >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
15 > >
16 > > Still `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' indicates it will install the most
17 > > recent kernel.
18 > >
19 > > then I noticed the portage man page, under `Format' does say:
20 > > "relational operators are not allowed"
21 > > So I dropped the `>=' part
22 > >
23 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
24 > >
25 > > Same result from `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' . . .
26 > >
27 > > What am I forgetting?
33 > This is how I do this sort of thing. I add the name and version to
34 > package.mask which stops future updates/upgrades. Example, for my
35 > nvidia drivers, this is in package.mask.
36 >
37 > >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-341.0.0
38 >
39 > That tells portage that anything above that version is masked locally
40 > and not to update it. For what you want, this should work:
41 >
42 > >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
43 >
44 > I removed the equal sign since you want to keep that version around but
45 > nothing above it. If portage doesn't like that, you may want to use the
46 > next version up and have the ">=" in front. According to what I have
47 > here, it would be like this:
48 >
49 > >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.12
50 >
51 > I actually don't show a 4.1.6 here right now. Removed I guess but
52 > likely still works.
53 >
54 > That goes under /etc/portage/ by the way. I think you know that already
55 > but just in case. I have those moments too. ;-)
56 >
57 > That helps??
58
59 I think its in /etc/portage/profile instead.
62 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
63 How do
64 you spend it?
65
66 John Covici