From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packaging ASL
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:55:29
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:18:58 -0600 Jc García wrote:
2 > 2015-07-21 5:41 GMT-06:00 Zeev Pekar <zeev.pekar@××××××××××××××××.com>:
3 > > Dear Gentoo Developers,
4 > >
5 > > We have just released the version 0.1.4 of ASL - Advanced Simulation
6 > > Library <http://asl.org.il>.
7 > >
8 > > May I ask somebody to volunteer to package it for Gentoo?
9 > >
10 > > Packaging efforts for other distros are underway and probably can be
11 > > helpful for Gentoo [1].
12 >
13 > Really interesting library, but I doubt you will get what you expect
14 > in this list, neither in the -dev list because as it is a library and
15 > AFAIK there's no applications requiring it, I doubt they'll want to
16 > add it to the main repository,
17
18 There is no rule forbidding to have library with zero consumers in
19 the main repository. As long, as someone maintains it.
20
21 > but sure there's a place in gentoo for
22 > the library, the gentoo-science project[1], you can try create a
23 > github issue[2] requesting the add of the library there. You could
24 > also find more folks interested in it, this list I would say is mostly
25 > sysadmin/troubled-user stuff.
26
27 I agree, on science overlay there are more interested people.
28 Mail to gentoo-science and gentoo-physics lists. I'm working on
29 another branch of physics, so I'm not sure I'll be able to test
30 this library thorough, though.
31
32 Note to Zeev: if you're interested in packaging by various
33 distributions, try to make their job easier. A quick check shows
34 that there are version constrains on dependencies, e.g. >=vtk-6.1,
35 but they're not mentioned in the documentation. Fixing this will
36 save people from digging into cmake files.
37
38 Best regards,
39 Andrew Savchenko