From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble decrypting message from firefox ebuild
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:15:42
1 At Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:39:13 +0000 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On 19 Jan 2009, at 16:59, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> Someone should file a bug to have the message changed to something
6 >>> clearer.
7 >>
8 >> I'd be happy to do that. Is the following correct?
9 >>
10 >> The UI and rendering libraries that were part of the
11 >> mozilla-firefox 2.x package have been split from the mozilla
12 >> firefox-3.x package and are now in the xulrunner package. In
13 >> order for ebuilds to use xulrunner instead of mozilla-firefox
14 >> 2.x, the "firefox" USE flag must be replaced by the
15 >> "xulrunner" USE flag. Failure to replace the "firefox" USE
16 >> flag with the "xulrunner" USE flag will result in portage
17 >> requiring mozilla-firefox 2.x which is incompatible with
18 >> mozilla-firefox 3.x -- this will block some packages from
19 >> building.
20 >
21 > It's kinda wordy.
22 >
23 > How about:
24 >
25 > With Firefox 3 the "firefox" USE flag has become "xulrunner".
26 > Failure
27 > to change your USE flags will result in portage requiring mozilla-
28 > firefox
29 > 2.x which is incompatible with mozilla-firefox 3.x and will block
30 > some packages from building.
31
32 I would favor the original (with Alan McKinnon's change). It is
33 somewhat wordy but this issue has caused several users grief and the
34 (admittedly repetitive) original wording makes it very clear what must
35 be done and gives some idea of what caused the change.
36
37 allan