From: "Jan Stępień" <jan@×××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dependency info is missing and /sbin/depscan.sh is not helpful
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:25:22
Hi folks,

I've been updating my system recently (emerge -u world). I've stopped
the update process with ctrl-c in order to turn the PC off. After
relaunching in the middle of the runlevel 1, right after "configuring
kernel parameters, updating environment , cleaning /var/lock, /var/run
and /tmp", I've been informed that:

Dependency info is missing! Please run
  # /sbin/depscan.sh
to fix this.

To make the impression even bigger each line has got a red star in
front of it. This error is displayed twice, than system is entering
runlevel 3, displays the same message once more and allows me to log
in:

This is (none).unknown_domain (Linux i686 kernel version, etc.)
(none) login:

I logged in as the root and gave depscan.sh a try. No output has been
shown. I checked the output of '/sbin/depscan.sh --help' and
accordingly to information given I tried:

# /sbin/depscan.sh -u
 * Caching service dependencies ...
sh: /bin/mktemp: No such file or dir
 * Failed to create temporary cache!
bash: /var/lib/init.d/depcache: No such file or dir
sh: /bin/mktemp: No such file or dir
 * Failed to create temporary cache!
gawk: /lib/rcscripts/awk/gendepends.awk:506: fatal error: expression
for redirection ">>" has a 0 lenght string
 * Failed to cache service dependencies

The one but last line is displayed in Polish so what you can see above
is my hope-it-is-verbatim translation into English. I've tried to
'emerge mktemp' but I realised soon that I'm offline and I cannot
'/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart' because I get the same error -
"Dependency info is missing!".

I've tried to google around and find a solution to this problem, but
despite finding few quite similar problems I haven't found anything
which would help me with this particular difficulty.

I would be very glad if you could support me'

Best regards,
Jan Stepien

--
Mail 	jano at stepien com pl