From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT crontab not understood
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 11:35:28
1 On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:10:50 +0100
2 Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi :)
5 >
6 > It seems I don't understand something about cron(tab). Can someone
7 > help me pls:
8 >
9 > I want to run flexbackup with the following backup plan:
10 > * monthly full
11 > * weekly diff
12 > * daily incr
13 >
14 > So I have installed sys-process/vixie-cron-4.1-r12 (and virtual/cron-0
15 > and sys-process/cronbase-0.3.3).
16 >
17 > My crontab (created with "crontab -e") contains:
18 >
19 > 00 03 2-31 * 1-6 /usr/bin/flexbackup -set root -level incremental
20 > 00 03 2-31 * 0 /usr/bin/flexbackup -set root -level differential
21 > 00 03 1 * * /usr/bin/flexbackup -set root -level full
22 >
23 > The problem I'm facing is, that incr and diff are executed each day
24 > _both_ at the same time (which flexbackup luckily handles well).
25 >
26 > From my understanding the 2nd line (diff) should only be run on
27 > sundays, and the 1st line (inc) should not run sundays.
30 > Can someone please explain me what I'm doing wrong?
31
32 You are combining fields 3 and 5, those two work funny.
33
34 Unlike the other datetime specs, they are not ANDed, they are ORed.
35
36 Taking the first one, you obviously want the cron to run at 3 am
37 between the 2nd and 31st of the month AND if the day is Mon-Sat.
38
39 What it is doing is running at 3am every day between the 2nd and 31st
40 and also every day Mon-Sat (even if that is the 1st of the month).
41
42 Vixie cron does not directly allow you to do what you want. It's
43 designed to run things periodically on a set schedule and doesn't do
44 "except" very well.
45
46 A better approach would be to fire off a wrapper script every day at
47 3am. This script will then check for date, time and day of week and
48 launch the app with the appropriate options.
51 > Thank you,
52 > Daniel
58 Alan McKinnnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com