From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:26:38
1 On 17/09/2013 10:05, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm convinced I need 3-disk RAID1 so I can lose 2 drives and keep
4 >> running. I'd also like to stripe for performance, resulting in
5 >> RAID10. It sounds like most hardware controllers do not support
6 >> 6-disk RAID10 so ZFS looks very interesting.
7 >>
8 >> Can I operate ZFS RAID without a hardware RAID controller?
11 > Yes. In fact, that's ZFS' preferred mode of operation (i.e., it
12 > handles all redundancy by itself).
13
14 I would take it a step further and say that a hardware RAID controller
15 actively interferes with ZFS and gets in the way. It gets in the way so
16 much that one should not do it at all.
17
18 Running the controller in JBOD mode is not a good idea, I'd say it's a
19 requirement.
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com