From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:51:41
1 On 2013-08-21 11:10 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:40:32 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> update LVM2
5 >>>> kernel remains the same
6 >>>> reboot
7 >>>> initramfs finds all PVS and activates VG
8 >>>> main system init
9 >>>> /etc/init.d/lvm2 start
10 >>>> error can't read from USB PVS
11 >>>> login to system with missing PVS
12 >>>> /etc/init.d/lvm2 restart
13 >>>> all PVS listed
14 >>>> reboot several times to verify it wasn't just a stuck service,
15 >>>> exactly the same
16 >>>> now ok but restarting a boot service manually required (!)
17 >>
18 >> I updated the initramfs and rebooted and all problems went away
19
20 > This sounds like a bug in LVM. If it was down to a version clash, why did
21 > a restart find the PVs?
22
23 Sorry, ianap, but I do know that this kind of thing has never happened
24 to me in my 8+ years of running this old system with a separate /usr
25 *without* an initramfs...
26
27 So, the bottom line is, obviously (to me at least), there are a lot more
28 things that can go wrong when an initramfs is involved, that simply
29 don't or can't happen otherwise.
30
31 >> And this is *precisely* what scares me about this.
32 >>
33 >> This simply should not be, period. Support for separate /usr without
34 >> initramfs simply SHOULD NOT be dropped unless/until things like this
35 >> (updating lvm) can *never* cause a system to fail to boot like this.
36
37 > This is irrelevant to separate /usr. an initramfs is required if / is on
38 > a VM, whether or not /usr is on the same LV.
39
40 Sorry, I don't see where he said that this system was running on a VM...
41 or did you mean where he had / on an *LVM* partition - which, again, he
42 did not say he had.