From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:25:35
1 On Sunday, 26 November 2017 10:22:26 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > I use kmail a lot on my desktop and laptop and have not noticed that in a
4 > very long time. It has actually been quite stable.
5
6 I use it on 3 different boxen. Two of them in daily usage have frequent
7 problems of dups and random resync's downloading tonnes of headers and data
8 from Gmail.
11 > I do use IMAP (cyrus) and akonadi is configured to use a postgresql database
12 > which is not running as embedded under my own user. (Postgresql is
13 > configured as a proper RDBMS using it's own user)
14
15 On one box I set it up exactly like you have, following your advice - thanks
16 again. On the other two I've let the default MySQL setup to do the akonadi
17 dance.
20 > I wonder of part of the issues most people are seeing is because of the
21 > default of using mysql embedded?
22 >
23 > --
24 > Joost
25
26 No I wouldn't think so. Most of the problems I have observed here are related
27 to Gmail and how Kmail interacts with it. In particular sending/deleting
28 emails seems to create problems which lead to duplicates in Sent folder and/or
29 resyncs. The problems appear to take place when the connection to the server
30 is down. If I leave kmail running and return to the box an hour later it is
31 most likely that when I click on Inbox, or any other Gmail folder, the
32 connection to the server will hang and eventually time out. I have seen
33 reports mentioning similar problems by other Kmail users, waiting/hoping for a
34 fix.
35
36 I have not experienced such problems with other mail servers, or at least they
37 are not as noticeable of frequent.
38
39 Also, there is a latency/delay between receiving/sending an email and akonadi
40 doing its thing with indexing, storing, etc. I know others think a database
41 back end was the best thing KDEPIM could have come up with, but here it has
42 been an unmitigated disaster, causing endless hours of troubleshooting and
43 head scratching. The latest thing sent to test my patience has been the
44 address book(s) no longer show any addresses. Also, the drop down menu for
45 Edit, View and Tools in the same, are empty, while File, Settings and Help are
46 thankfully still working. :-/ I have refused to waste any more time trying
47 to troubleshoot this problem.
48
49 Unfortunately, I have found every other email client interface I have tried
50 less satisfactory and I keep returning to Kmail.
53 Regards,
54 Mick