From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHCP and Problematic IP addreses
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:58:52
1 On 1/16/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Googling with "gentoo + dhclient.conf" and "dhcp + reject ip addreses"
3 > doesn't give me any good leads.
4 >
5 > I have a problem in which the DHCP server assigns a Bad IP address to
6 > me. (miss pings, long delays etc..) I have tried various means to get a
7 > new IP but it's not giving it to me since the DHCP has bonded it self to
8 > my PCMCIA NIC's MAC Addr.
9
10 You need administrative control of the DHCP server, and either program
11 a static address for your MAC, or reduce the address lease time.
12 There is no way for a DHCP client to "reject" an address.
13
14 But the problems you describe sound like some other device on the
15 network has the same address as your PC. You might try some network
16 monitoring tools like tcpdump or ethereal to see what is going on. In
17 particular, pay attention to ARP requests and responses.
18
19 -Richard
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list