From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Having Trouble with Wireless Interface
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:34:41
1 On 05/22/2014 06:34 AM, Jonathan Callen wrote:
2 > On 05/21/2014 01:56 PM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
3 > > Thanks for the explanation.
4 >
5 > > Just to double check I understood it correctly, there's no need to put
6 > > the list of kernel modules into /etc/conf.d/modules any longer, because
7 > > udev is aware of the modules that have been built and will load them by
8 > > consulting /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.alias. Is that correct?
9 >
10 > > Thanks.
14 > You only need to list the modules in /etc/conf.d/modules (for OpenRC) or
15 > /etc/modules-load.d/*.conf (for systemd) if they would not otherwise be
16 > loaded. Just about any module that provides a driver for hardware that
17 > can be autodetected (that is, PCI, USB, etc.) will be auto-loaded by
18 > udev. Modules used to provide filters, etc. for iptables are autoloaded
19 > by iptables itself as needed. Some modules do not have anything that
20 > would cause them to be autoloaded (such as the vbox-* modules from
21 > VirtualBox), in which case you *would* need to explicitly load them.
24 Understood. Thanks to all those who did respond to my query.