From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:27:29
1 On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 9:33 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:15:55 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >
5 > > > I found it to be helpful to de-install as many programs as possible
6 > > > before starting the update and the first emerge --sync. This reduces
7 > > > the amount of conflicts by a considerable amount.
8 > >
9 > > Yes, Definitely. If you can, uninstall anything "big" that you can
10 > > live without temporarily: LibreOffice, Chromium, Qt, KDE, X11, Gnome,
11 > > Cups, etc.
12 >
13 > You may get away with removing them from @world rather than actually
14 > uninstalling. They may well continue to work until something they depend
15 > on has an ABI update. I'd try to keep anything depending on boost or icu
16 > out of the update process.
19 > --
20 > Neil Bothwick
21 >
22 > WinErr 002: No Error - Yet
23
24 In the couple of times I've been through this
25
26 1) If I was, in the old environment, running unstable app versions then the
27 first thing I'd do is just set them to stable. This presumably gives a good
28 chance of getting apps to just build without pulling in unstable libraries
29 and the like.
30
31 2) Commenting out or removing at least unstable apps from world at least
32 gives ideas about where application problems might exist if they aren't
33 solved in step 1. I personally would uninstall unstable apps, keeping a
34 list on paper, and then reinstalling later when the basics are upgraded and
35 proved functional.
36
37 3) Based on other folk's issues with Gentoo and Python versions I'm not
38 overly confident any of this is easier than moving /home out-of-the-way,
39 rebuilding the machine with a new install and then seeing how the old home
40 directories survived.
41
42 Good luck,
43 Mark