From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two identical systems - different!
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 15:00:15
1 On Sunday 02 Mar 2014 12:21:24 yac wrote:
2 > On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 22:34:45 +0000
3 >
4 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > Hello list,
6 > >
7 > > While wrestling with my owncloud problem I decided to re-install the
8 > > server box from scratch. It's a little Atom box so I keep a 32-bit
9 > > chroot on this machine (the one I'm writing this on), nfs-mount the
10 > > server's packages directory in the chroot and do all the heavy emerge
11 > > work on the i5 here. The contents of /etc/portage/* are identical in
12 > > both systems, with minor exceptions detailing --jobs= and the proxies
13 > > (the server serves the portage tree and is the rsync host, and it
14 > > can't do that for itself until http- replicator etc. are in place).
15 > >
16 > > I got as far as installing a recent stage 3 and adding nfs-utils so
17 > > that I could export the package directory. Then I ran emerge -eavK
18 > > world (I'd already rebuilt all the packages in the chroot before
19 > > zapping the server). You'll never guess what happened. Well,
20 > > actually, I hope someone can because I'm stumped again.
21 > >
22 > > $ OPTIONS="backtrack=100" emerge -pvKe world
23 > > ...
24 >
25 > Please provide the whole output. There should be an explanation why
26 > there is the conflict.
27
28 OK. I've been over all my groundwork again, making sure of my facts and
29 running revdep-rebuild, python-updater and perl-cleaner.
30
31 I ran three commands:
32 1. emerge -epvK world > emerge.with-K
33 2. emerge -epvk world > emerge.with-k
34 3. emerge -epv world > emerge.no-Kk
35 Those three files are attached. (I pasted the STDERR text into the first one
36 because I couldn't remember the bashism for redirecting both output streams to
37 a single file.)
38
39 The slot conflict occurred in case 1. It did not occur in cases 2 and 3, but
40 the package list was ordered differently.
41
42 > You can also run the emerge with -at to get some insight into the
43 > package dependencies.
44
45 Hmm. A bit of a tall order with 330 packages.
46
47 > What is the reason you run with backtrack=100 ?
48
49 I don't usually set it at all; I only tried it this time to confirm my
50 expectation that no amount of back-tracking would make any difference.
53 Regards
54 Peter

emerge.no-Kk text/plain
emerge.with-k text/plain