From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to switch from rust to rust-bin?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 20:08:18
1 On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 19:56:28 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > There is a way, uninstall rust. virtual/rust requires only one of rust
4 > > and rust-bin, if both are installed it will take rust meaning rust-bin
5 > > gets depcleaned. If only one is installed, the virtual will take
6 > > that. If neither is install, the virtual will pull in rust.
7 > >
8 > > Adding packages like this to the world file is storing up problems for
9 > > later.
10 >
11 > Ah, so I should have installed rust-bin _without_ adding it to the
12 > world file so that when the last package requiring rust gets removed,
13 > rust will get removed by --depclean...
14
15 rust won't get removed because it is the first dependency of
16 virtual/rust. All other packages should depend on the virtual, so if you
17 unmerge rust and emerge -1 rust-bin the virtual will then use rust-bin.
18
19 Portage will always favour rust over rust-bin if both or neither is
20 installed.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 "I am a Cub Ranger. We dib dib dib for the One. We dob dob dob for the
27 One."