From: Justin Krejci <jus@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge starts slowly
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:40:49
1 On Thursday 15 December 2005 09:45 am, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 12/14/05, Justin Krejci <jus@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > When I run "emerge -s whatever" or "emerge sync" or any emerge command
4 > > apparently, it usually takes about 1 second to start the command on the
5 > > AMD64 system whereas on the Athlon-XP system it usually takes about 10-30
6 > > seconds fore the command to start. What I mean by that is for example
7 >
8 > You can try something like:
9 >
10 > strace -tt -f -o /tmp/strace.out emerge -s tcpdump
11 >
12 > Then look at /tmp/strace.out and see what kind of system call is being
13 > made that is taking so long to complete.
14 >
15 > -Richard
18 Well I ran it once then ran it again to a different output file and the two
19 files are the same length and doing a cursory glance thru the files they both
20 seem fairly similar. When I have some time, ill check the files more closesly
21 in particular the timestamps.
22
23 Thanks for the idea.
24 --