From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Computer does not boot
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:54:32
1 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-01-31 19:32]:
2 > On 01/31/15 11:59, Dale wrote:
3 > >Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >>Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-01-31 18:12]:
5 > >>>After recent upgrade my computer doesn't want to boot. I did not do
6 > >>>anything with grub or kernel.
7 > >>>I get a bios flash and next is message:
8 > >>>
10 > >>>GRUB loading stage2
11 > >>>
12 > >>>and computer goes back reboot cycle, flash bios and the same massage
13 > >>>is
14 > >>>displayed.
15 > >>>What went wrong during update?
16 > >>>
17 > >>>--
18 > >>>Joseph
19 > >>>
20 > >>Hi Joseph,
21 > >>
22 > >>may be only a accidental coincidence...
23 > >>One thing I can think of is an empty bios coin cell.
24 >
25 > What is an empty BIOS coin cell?
28 > >>
29 > >>If this is not the cause, check whether the stage2 grub
30 > >>got deleted.
31 >
32 > How do I check if stage2 grub was deleted?
33 > Thanks for your help
34 > >
35 > >OP, if it were me, I'd chroot in, re-emerge grub, reinstall grub to
36 > >the
37 > >drive and then try to reboot. It doesn't seem to me that it is the OS
38 > >itself or the kernel since it doesn't seem to get that far either.
39 > >It's
40 > >either a BIOS or a grub issue. I'm thinking along the same lines of
41 > >Meino myself. Since chrooting in is a bit of a pain, I'd cover the
42 > >whole field while in it.
43 > >
44 > >Don't forget, you can use the -K option to install from binaries if
45 > >you
46 > >save them. That may save a little bit of time.
47 > >
48 > >Hope that helps.
49 >
50 > I boot strap from a CD and /boot and grup.conf looks normal the way I
51 > install it.
52 >
53 > ...
54 > title Gentoo Current Kernel
55 > root (hd0,0)
56 > kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal
57 >
58 > --
59 > Joseph
62 Hi,
63
64 (please read this completly before doing anything)
65
66 on the motherboard of your PC there is a Real Time Clock (RTC), which
67 keeps time and date correct while your PC is turned off. This RTC
68 needs power...only a little bit but more then nothing. For that there
69 is a battery holder (oh damn, I fear, this term is "german English...
70 ;) on the motherboard, which can easily be identified, because it
71 is about of the size of two Euro coin and an silvery "coin" is
72 in there (visible from the outside). The similarity of the shape
73 of a coin and and a coin cell gave the latter its name.
74
75 BUT!
76 Dont pull that out before you got a new one!
77 Most often these cells are lithium batteries, which name starts
78 with CR...... . On my motherboard there is a CR2032. But this
79 should be mentioned in the manual of your mitherboard (and if that
80 get lost you will find a pdf of that on the net somewhere).
81
82 If you got a new cell, shutdown the computer, remove the mains plug
83 from the back and switch the PC on again (no joke). This will empty
84 any capacitor in the mains adapter and on the board.
85
86 Touch the metal case of the PC (or if it is plastic touch the outer
87 shell of an USB jack (**NOT** the inside), where you can easily reach
88 it (in most cases on the back of the PC instead of the front).
89 This will discharge any static electricity. Otherwise grub and the
90 coin cell become a minor problem... ;)
91
92 Check the manual how to remove the BIOS coin cell. Do it carefully but
93 do it not excessive slow.
94 Insert the new battery (remove it from the package before you remove
95 the old cell) as described in the manual.
96
97 If you are quick enough chance are given that all settings of the BIOS
98 will survive the short no-power situation.
99
100 Boot the PC again. If you didnt configure ntp for your PC and the
101 time/date of the PC didn't survive the short power fail of the coin cell swap,
102 set the date by hand, emerge net-misc/ntp, configure it and run it by
103 hand to set time/date correctly.
104
105 If the PC does not boot: Install grub as Dale mentioned. A missing
106 stage2 bootloader may be the reason, why grub hangs while looking for
107 it. If the problem went away after installing grub (and with it a new
108 stage2 bootlaoder) the missing stage2 bootloader is the first
109 candidate for being the reason of the problem.
110
111 Good luck!
112 Best regards,
113 Meino