From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [footnote] The purpose of pam
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:55:58
1 On Thursday 28 January 2010 00:04:46 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 January 2010 11:01:52 Willie Wong wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 04:34:56PM -0800, walt wrote:
4 > > > After thinking awhile I realized that pam can be used to
5 > > > combine muliple forms of authentication to reduce the well
6 > > > documented risk of single-factor authentication (like our
7 > > > traditional password system).
8 > > >
9 > > > Example: if I have an ordinary password, plus an ssh key
10 > > > stored on a USB stick, plus a biometric device like an
11 > > > eye scanner or a fingerprint scanner, I can then use any
12 > > > or all of those methods to identify myself to the system
13 > > > by configuring pam in the appropriate way.
14 > >
15 > > Yes.
16 > >
17 > > First look at the PAM configuration section of this:
18 > >
19 > > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_enable_the_fingerprint_reader#Login_
20 > >vi a_pam_bioapi
21 > >
22 > > Now if instead of having
23 > >
24 > > auth sufficient pam_unix.so ...
25 > > auth sufficient pam_bioapi.so ...
26 > >
27 > > which says that either password log-in OR fingerprint scanner is
28 > > enough, you change the first line to "auth required ...", per the docs
29 > >
30 > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration
31 > >-f ile.html
32 > >
33 > > you will then have a behaviour where BOTH password and fingerprint is
34 > > involved. I think PAM is a Pretty Good Idea and its implementation is
35 > > Very Cool, but I also think it is completely unnecessary on _my_
36 > > laptop.
37 >
38 > What would be the pam-way to only allow remote ssh logins using pubkeys and
39 > completely forbid ssh paswd? I used to remove allow pam from sshd_config.
40 > Is there a better pam-centric way of doing the same thing?
41
42 That's pretty pointless. pam doesn't know how to do openssl voodoo magic. sshd
43 does.
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com