From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Snort server -- I Don't know whats wrong -- It seems to go to sleep
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:27:24
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:32:10 -0500
4 "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > The short summary is the box
7 > keeps "going to sleep" on me. It wont respond to ssh or webpage
8 > requests till I ping it about 10 times after that it works normally.
9
10 First: I assume you've checked all cables and tried to exchange them
11 against some that are known working? Maybe even tried another port on
12 the switch for the administrative interface?
13
14 Then it sounds like an ARP problem to me. I'd start with running
15 tcpdump on the administrative interface in order to see what that
16 machine's seeing, and when. My blind guess would be that something
17 irritates the routing, hence my guess that ARP's a bit broken. The
18 routing table entry would time out and the machine you're using to
19 connect to the admin interface needs some time to get a proper ARP
20 answer. Is that snort machine's kernel somehow patched w/ regard to
21 ARP/Routing? Did you configure ARP via sysctl to non-default values?
22 You can check that suggestion by setting a routing table entry for the
23 target machine manually on your SSH client machine ("arp -s").
24
25 -hwh
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list