From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:03:38
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
4 > and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
5 > getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
6 > on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
7 > are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
8 > to MLC, but also much more expensive.
9
10 I yesterday send some test results.... If you use a UFS clone like ext,
11 you will not get much better speed. You should use ZFS or another COW
12 filesystem that tries to write bigger blocks in order to avoid high latencies.
13
14 I recommend Intel or OCZ. Other SSDs have been reported as slow
15
16 I tested OCZ
17
18 Jörg