From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] look for a file type + sort
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 04:04:13
1 On Sep 13, 2013 9:53 PM, "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 13.09.2013 17:43, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
6 wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> On 13.09.2013 10:24, Jean-Christophe Bach wrote:
9 >>> [ ... ]
10 >>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> This one should work:
13 >>>>
14 >>>> find /home/joseph/ -iname "*.pdf" -exec ls -l --sort=time {} +
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>> -exec is not suitable here because it spawns a `ls` process per each
19 found
20 >>> entry; aside from being slow, this disallows sorting at all.
23 >> This is incorrect. If you terminate exec with '+' instead of '\;', only
24 a single
25 >> instance of the command is run - the command line is built by appending
26 >> each found file to the end of the {} placeholder.
29 > Sorry, I'm ashamed
30 > I didn't know about this feature. Does it also handle spaces correctly?
33 I'm not sure how the internals work. As best as I can guess, it constructs
34 the argv directly so spaces shouldn't be an issue. Spaces are an issue when
35 the output is piped through, since the pipe itself knows no difference
36 between filename and output spaces, hence the need to force zero delimiters
37 between filenames. Since find runs the command directly, you shouldn't
38 encounter this. But Ive yet to test.
41 >> The only reason I see for it to fail is if you have so many files that
42 >> it can't be
43 >> passed to the argv of the receiving command.
46 > There's always an opportunity to use tempfiles ;)
50 > --
51 > Best wishes,
52 > Yuri K. Shatroff