From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:06:29
1 On Saturday 26 April 2008, Neil Walker wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > I log in and want
4 > > to figure out what's in front of me with respect to updates. I type
5 > > emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's just wrong.
6 >
7 > What the heck are you talking about? "emerge --sync" doesn't delete
8 > ANY files from your system.
9
10 Oh yes it does.
11
12 It uses rsync to replicate the portage tree on the server with the copy
13 of the tree on the local box, and uses one of the --delete options to
14 do it. It removes old ebuilds, old profiles, Changelogs and updates the
15 portage metadata directory.
16
17 So far from doesn;t delete ANY files, it actually deletes a shit load of
18 files and the longer the gap between syncs the bigger that shit load
19 is.
20
21 What it won't so is modify *software* installed. You need 'emerge
22 <package>' or 'emerge world' for that. Perhaps that's what you are
23 referring to, but that is not what Mark is complaining about. He's
24 complaining that an old system used profile X and a sync removed that
25 from the tree leaving him with no working profile, and portage went off
26 the deep end.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
34 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list