From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommended VPN Tunnel client?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:06:29
1 On Friday 10 Feb 2012 04:42:51 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:48, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 > > Scenario: I have a server in the cloud that needs to connect to an
4 > > internal server in the office. There are 2 incoming connections into my
5 > > office, ISP "A" and ISP "B". The primary connection is A, but if A goes
6 > > down, we can use B. The app running on the cloud server has no automatic
7 > > failover ability (i.e., if A goes down, someone must change the app's
8 > > conf to point to B).
9 > >
10 > > My thought: If I can make a tunnel from the server to the FortiGate
11 > > firewall currently guarding the HQ, the cloud app can simply be
12 > > configured to connect to the internal IP address of the internal server.
13 > > No need to manually change the app's conf.
14 > >
15 > > The need: a VPN client that:
16 > > + can selectively send packets fulfilling a criteria (in this case, dest=
17 > > IP address of internal server)*
18
19 As far as I know typical VPNs require the IP address (or FQDN) of the VPN
20 gateway. If yours changes because ISP A goes down then the tunnel will fail
21 and be torn down.
24 > > + has automatic failover and failback ability
25
26 Right, I don't know if one exists with this functionality - because this is
27 not a typical VPN function but one offered by load balancers/fall back servers
28 or routers.
31 > > *solutions involving iptables and iproute2 are also acceptable
32
33 I am convinced that you can do that by clever enough routing on a linux box,
34 but cannot recall where I last read about it.
37 > > Can anyone point me to the right direction re: what package and the
38 > > relevant howto?
39 > >
40 > > Thanks in advance.
41 >
42 > I have been doing some research, and...
43 >
44 > Do you think I can do that using HAProxy running in tcp mode?
45 >
46 > My thought goes like this: Have the cloud app connect the IP:port of
47 > HAProxy, and let HAProxy perform a TCP proxy (NAT?) to connect to the
48 > internal server via A or B according to the "server checks".
49
50 I haven't used HAProxy, but would consider setting up a fallback route at the
51 HQ router end. This is also called a failover configuration. The router
52 pings one address, say ISP A and if that fails more than x times over y pings
53 then it switches over the connection to ISP B.
54
55 This keeps it at a lower level in the OSI model, which is less complicated and
56 therefore easier to manage.
57 --
58 Regards,
59 Mick