From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netqmail and qmail
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:05:50
1 Michael Crute wrote:
2 > I would beg to differ with the statement about security. Qmail is
3 > arguably THE MOST secure mail server
4 > (http://cr.yp.to/qmail/guarantee.html).
5
6 It may be 'secure' from that respect, but not from any other. In it's
7 default settings, it's far too accepting and is a pain to close down.
8
9 It uses non-standard locations and configuration, and is popular with
10 Spammers as they can use it 'bounce' spam onto third parties by send
11 mail (via the server) to the server with an invalid delivery address and
12 the destination as the recipient.
13
14 It also find it generally flaky when running and a poor performer (I
15 love it when it decides to restart itself, but fails because the old
16 process hasn't shutdown quick enough and stops the new process form
17 running).
18
19 > That said, I use postfix and love it.
20
21 Same here - it's so easy and straight forward to configure, stable (I've
22 had it running for months without even having to think about it) and
23 good support for newer technologies (such as RBL, MAPS, SPF and
24 Greylisting).
25
26 qmail doesn't support any of them by standard - to use it, you must
27 either find a binary that supports it (via binary distributions, or
28 compile them in yourself).
29
30 Plus, IIRC, there's no active development in qmail.
34 Jonathan Wright
35 ~ mail@×××××××××.uk
36 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
37 --
38 2.6.17-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
39 up 21:58, 0 users, load average: 0.16, 0.41, 0.49
40 --
41 cat /dev/random (because u never know, u may see something u like)
42 --
43 "Some see the move as an attempt to preserve traditional values,
44 while others see it as a cynical ploy to ensure that Vice President
45 Dick Cheney will never have to pay for his gay daughter's wedding."
46
47 ~ Jon Stewart, on President Bush's proposal for a constitutional
48 amendment to ban gay marriage
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list