From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading the kernel
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 20:36:53
1 On 2007-10-02, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 03:00:49PM +0000, Penguin Lover Grant Edwards squawked:
3
4 >> You probably want to disable generic IDE support and enable the
5 >> combined SATA/PATA stuff in the new one. The ATA stuff has
6 >> been completely redone between 2.6.21 and 2.6.22.
7 >
8 > I just installed 2.6.23-rc[some number here] a few days ago,
9 > and the PATA stuff is labeled [experimental] while SATA is
10 > [prod]. I haven't been really keeping up with the news, but
11 > how stable is the PATA driver?
12
13 I've been using it for a week or so with no issues.
14
15 > (I am currently still on generic IDE) Is there a
16 > performance/?? benefit from the new PATA driver?
17
18 I couldn't get some of my machines to boot with the generic IDE
19 support enabled. It apparently now conflicts with SATA
20 support.
23 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm definitely not
24 at in Omaha!
25 visi.com
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list