From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tragic kernel building for vmware gentoo guest on WinXP
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:54:53
1 On Thursday 11 December 2008 20:13:11 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 11 December 2008 00:07:44 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 > > I've started a new thread on my kernel troubles. I thought the thread
4 > > subject should be more indicative of the semi OT nature of the query.
5 > >
6 > > Here is the general setup and the general problem:
7 > >
8 > > vmware appliance made from gentoo-2008.0
9 > > [...]
10 > > I've compiled 2.6.27-r5 using the config that works with 2.6.24-r8 as
11 > > the basis. I did prune out a few things... all wireless some hid and
12 > > most usb.
13 > >
14 > > This kernel fails as I expected and here is small screen shot of the
15 > > error. It appears something is lacking that lets the kernel know that
16 > > /dev/sda1 (boot) and /dev/sdb3 are valid /boot and /
17 > >
18 > > Here are the grub lines:
19 > >
20 > > title=/dev/sda1 hp 2.6.27-r5 NO INTITRD
21 > > root (hd0,0)
22 > > kernel /kernel-2.6.27-r5 root=/dev/sdb3 video=vesafb:mtrr3,ywrap
23 > > vga=0x317
24 > >
25 > > Screen shot of boot messages:
26 >
27 > From that and the contents of the original initrd you posted in the former
28 > thread and what others already found out:
29 >
30 > This initrd has all all sorts of driver modules for SATA and SCSI chipsets,
31 > so it's most likely that you forgot to compile in the correct drivers into
32 > your custom kernel.
33 >
34 > I think I've seen somebody already identified one of them as some Fusion
35 > SCSI driver, so I guess you would need to compile the Fusion stuff into
36 > your kernel (they even have an own section in "menuconfig").
37 >
38 > What this initrd doesn't have is modules for SCSI Disk support and
39 > filesystems, so they seem to be compiled into the kernel directly.
40 >
41 > Could please post the kernels .config (or /proc/config) and lspci output
42 > from the original, working setup?
43
44 Forgot this one: dmesg output from the working setup.
45
46 Bye...
47
48 Dirk