From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] gnome-shell is cool (and how to move my current user)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:02:22
1 So I've been trying to get around a long-standing bug in gnome-panel
2 with vertical panels and the application list. Some workarounds, patches
3 exist that work, but still a PITA to fix up my own ebuilds to address
4 it.
5
6 I received a comment on a bug tracker that gnome-panel likely will be
7 deprecated in favour of "gnome-shell" in gnome 3.0 (aka 2.32) anyway,
8 so forget an *upstream* commit to fix this problem that's been around
9 for years.
10
11 Well, my curiosity got the best of me, so I cherry-picked some ebuilds,
12 an eclass (and even built a piece "by hand" since the ebuild failed to
13 actually install anything...) and I got "gnome-shell --replace" to
14 launch.
15
16 What I found was the system became so slow as to be unusable... *but*
17 that adding a new user, so to test on a clean slate as it were,
18 gnome-shell works just fine. Very cool.
19
20 So then, what's the *best way* to (re-) set my current user to get the
21 goodness of a brand new gnome profile, but none of the hassle of
22 reconfiguring all my apps? ;-)
23
24 I see moving my /home folder to something else, deleting me, adding me
25 back, with new /home and my groups... then moving a few very configured
26 apps .configs over, but I thought there *might* be a sure way that would
27 be easier...
28
29 Cheers,
30