From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tools to clean up /usr/portage/packages?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 23:51:08
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >>> On 28/02/12 00:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Are there any tools that will:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> 1) Ensure that for every installed packages there is a corresponding
10 >>>> tbz2 file in /usr/portage/packages?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> 2) Remove any older versions in /usr/portage/packages prior to me
13 >>>> running a backup?
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>> I think app-portage/gentoolkit can help with its "eclean" tool
17 >>> (specifically, "eclean-pkg").
18 >>>
19 >>> "man eclean" should get you started.
20 >>
21 >> And as an example of savings... I run eclean once in a while, but not
22 >> automated. I just ran it and got these results:
23 >>
24 >> [   14.8 G ] Total space from 1673 files were freed in the distfiles directory
25 >>
26 >> I guess I should use it more frequently. ;)
29 > 15GB is a nice clean up!
30 >
31 > I don't think I'd want to run it automatically, at least not often. If
32 > it automatically deleted things that work in favor of newly built but
33 > untested packages that would defeat the purpose in my mind.
34 >
35 > As basically nothing but a home user I'm trying after 12 years to
36 > piece together some sort of a backup strategy here, including how to
37 > do a restore if a drive died, etc. I'll ask some questions about that
38 > later, but likely it should be it's own thread.
39 >
40 > Cheers,
41 > Mark
42
43 You can probably just exclude /usr/portage from your backup entirely,
44 since it'll be restored with an emerge --sync (or webrsync) and any
45 distfiles can be downloaded again if they are needed.