From: Spidey / Claudio <spideybr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Magic SysRq didn't work today
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 03:41:42
1 I have lived through some lock ups in the recent past, but that's
2 because I've disassembled my desktop from it's case and assembled it
3 at my working table. Since both PS/2 ports of the mobo are on my mouse
4 pad (yeah, short cables, tight space), I eventually pull some cable os
5 slap my video card. The first time X.org locked up, but ssh'ing from
6 my Maemo phone did the trick (had to disable kexec and reboot from the
7 bios, though). The second time I couldn't do that, my video card
8 cooler fans stopped, and I had to pull the power plug and wait a few
9 moments. That time I thought that some money would be spent on a new
10 motherboard or video card. But rest assured, no computer components
11 were harmed in those accidents.
12
13 Ending the off topic, I had lock downs and headaches when messing with
14 reiser4. I'd say that recently built experimental code in the kernel
15 is something that would trigger lock ups.