From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dracut vs. genkernel
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:07:11
1 Greets, gentoo-users ...
2
3 I am currently trying to find out why my LVM2-volumes aren't activated
4 correctly at boot time. I am using packages from the overlay
5 systemd-love as I run systemd as init-system (why? that's another
6 discussion ;-) ).
7
8 Until now I always was kind of lazy and used genkernel (or lately
9 "genkernel-next") to build and install my kernels/modules. Yes, it's
10 uncool, but so far it worked for me and it was comfortable.
11
12 In my discussion with one of the devs of the systemd-love-overlay he
13 pointed me at dracut to generate my initramfs. Never used it before and
14 so I am still learning (yes, it booted already).
15
16 I found infos in the Gentoo Wiki but I would also hear your opinions and
17 experience:
18
19 How do you generate your kernel and initramfs with dracut? Any handy
20 scripts available ... any tricks or hints?
21
22 Where are the advantages of dracut compared to genkernel? The udev-approach?
23
24 Thanks, Stefan