From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "emerge portage"
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:40:19
1 On Friday 18 April 2008, robert anstuther wrote:
2 > Hi, I am new to Gentoo so accept my apologies if this is a blatently
3 > stupid question. I want to install the latest version of a package on
4 > our site, on checking the various gentoo boxes I discovered that the
5 > versions of the package varied a lot. therefore I ran "emerge --sync"
6 > this worked fine but finished with the message that a new portage was
7 > available and that I should run the command in the above subject
8 > field, and then update ALL my config files, I am worried that I mess
9 > up my kernel by proceeding, I have checked the wiki and read through
10 > the emerge docs, but it is still not totally clear to me, Any help or
11 > suggested further reading very much appreciated.
14 > Thanks, Boba.
15
16 Hi Boba,
17
18 Your questions are all fully explained in the Gentoo Handbook:
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
24 It is perfectly normal for portage to want to update itself first when
25 doing a system update. Portage will update, then it re-runs the system
26 update so that the new system is now in charge.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
34 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list