From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Easily coping with a domain password
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:21:14
1 Hi,
2
3 Some weeks go well, some don't. For me, this one isn't.
4
5 The AD at work was moaning that I needed to change the password, which I duly
6 did under protest. Then all hell broke loose. 30 seconds later the account
7 was locked.
8
9 That turned out to be kontact checking Exchange once a minute when I thought I
10 had unset auto checks. Phoned IT, got the account unlocked. And it happened
11 again, this time kwallet had cached something. Fixed by manually going
12 through everything in kwallet, changing all old passwords I found. And I got
13 locked out a third time, which appears to be due to ldap lookups (more than
14 one). $DEITY only knows where these are coming from, I've been doing some
15 experimenting lately....
16
17 IT are getting a wee bit upset with me, and this happens regularly once a
18 month but today was especially bad. Methinks I should consolidate all the
19 many apps and URLs that auth against the domain. And I'm wondering how best
20 to do this as I'm clueless about it actually - I normally avoid MS stuff like
21 the plague.
22
23 Should I be looking into winbind?
24 Or configure kerberos to join the domain and have all my apps use that?
25 Some ldap-proxy type setup?
26
27 Pointers to howtos and opinions on what's worth the effort are all that I'm
28 after today - I can read the details in the man pages myself once I have a
29 known direction to follow. If my three ideas above sound stupid, that's
30 because they probably are :-)
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com