From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge --sync
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:07:53
1 Am Samstag, 15. Juli 2017, 15:11:03 CEST schrieb Peter Humphrey:
2 > On Saturday 15 Jul 2017 12:14:52 Daniel Wagener wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:00:01 +0100
4 > >
5 > > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 [...]
7 > >
8 > > Why not just go there and do a "git diff"?
9 > > It will show you what changed – maybe that gives an Idea what happened
10 >
11 > It showed me that I'd changed "masters =" to "masters = gentoo" in
12 > layout.conf, which I knew because I'd been told to at some time.
13
14 That's ridiculous. You're configuring the main portage tree to be a master of itself. Search
15 for "masters" in portage(5) for an explanation of what that option is for (it's mainly
16 interesting for overlays).
17
18 > But I did
19 > that ages ago, long before my last sync yesterday, so what else has changed?
20 > I didn't emerge anything yesterday, as confirmed by "grep completed
21 > /var/log/emerge.log" (so it wasn't a failed emerge, Alexander).
22
23 What probably happened is that this is the first time something changed in layout.conf since
24 you added the "masters" line, thus why git never complained.
25
26 > > "git reset --hard" to reset the repository should solve that problem.
27 >
28 > It has - thanks Daniel. I haven't tried to understand the ins and outs of
29 > git, I just use it blindly for --sync.
30
31 Since git is a version control system, it won't blindly overwrite local changes, so it's best not
32 to make any :) (so don't add that change back in, since it's pointless anyway). Always use
33 your own overlay if you want to make changes.
34
35 HTH
36 --
37 Marc Joliet
38 --
39 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
40 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup