From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Not-quite-right Intel graphics
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:44:53
1 On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 16:19:36 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 15:33:02 BST Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 10:19:23 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > I'm using my ISP's SMTP server with the same settings as usual. KMail
5 > > > detected them itself
6 > >
7 > > Yes, it does the same here, when I ask it to detect what Gmail wants to
8 > > use, ... then it fails when it tries to set up a XOAUTH2 token via
9 > > akonadi's plugin.
10 > >
11 > > I succeeded by selecting manually individual authentication settings and
12 > > trying them one at a time.
13 >
14 > Do you mind saying which authentication method worked?
15
16 IMAP4 Connection Settings:
17
18 Protocol: SSL/TLS
20 Authentication: PLAIN
21
22 SMTP Settings:
23
24 Protocol: STARTTLS
26 Authentication: PLAIN
27
28 NOTES:
29 1. Other combinations may have worked, but I stopped trying to figure out what
30 works, as soon as I was able to authenticate with the server.
31 2. Google has some setting you can access online to enable/disable what they
32 call 'Less Secure App' authentication. They consider the good ol'
33 authentication protocols and ports allowing IMAP4/POP3/SMTP to connect
34 securely with a mail server and authenticate via username/password /less/
35 secure.
36
37 https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
38
39 Instead, they prefer we use OAUTH2 or some such pseudo-authentication
40 mechanism, which works over HTTPS. Because browsers are more ... secure?! O_o
41
42 Anyway, if you find authentication attempts are rejected by Gmail servers, try
43 enabling "Less Secure App" authentication on your Google security settings.
44
45 I've just seen these Gmail client settings, which you may find useful:
46
47 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828
48 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229
51 Regards,