From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: unix philosophy question for old farts: the original purpose for /tmp ?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:57:16
1 On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 4:05 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > A pseudo-policy (pseudo since it wasn't, AFAIK, an official policy)
4 > was instituted whereby applications that were creating large files in
5 > "/tmp" should be patched to use "/var/tmp".
8 This has been the norm on Gentoo for ages - this is why package builds
9 happen in /var/tmp. Many Gentoo users tend to mount /tmp as tmpfs.
10 Actually, many tend to mount /var/tmp as tmpfs as well if they can
11 afford the RAM - it GREATLY improves build times. I moved to building
12 kernels in /var/tmp for the same reason.
13
14 About the only time I find myself overriding TMPDIR is if I'm running
15 sort on a large file (multi-GB). Merge sorts tend to be heavy on disk
16 use, but fortunately sequential in disk access, so it makes sense to
17 dump them to a disk if they're large.
20 Rich