From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "slotting" openoffice 2.0
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:51:20
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 >I want to try out openoffice 2.0, but I still want 1.x around just in
4 >case (I use it quite regularly).
5 >
6 >Can I "slot" 2.0? Is it as simple as the handbook says (ie, just add
7 >the SLOT variable to the ebuild) provided of course I use the portage
8 >overlay...
9 >
10 >Or is it more complicated, ie overwriting each others files, etc.?
11 >
12 >any help would be appreciated! thanks,
16 Looking through the files that openoffice-bin-2.0.0_rc3 installs, the
17 majority of the files are installed to /usr/lib/openoffice/. IIRC, the
18 1.x series uses /opt, so that should be ok. Everything else (icons,
19 .desktop files, files in /usr/bin, etc) have the version in the file
20 name, so you will not have a conflict with those.
21
22 However, I can also tell you that I have been using the beta & RC builds
23 for most of this year, and have not seen anything that would make me
24 want to go back to 1.x!
25
26 And as Joachim said, quickpkg may be the better option.
27
28 -Richard
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list