From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] copy file and preserve ownership
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 05:27:37
1 On 18/09/2014 00:54, Joseph wrote:
2 > I like to use meld to copy file but meld does now preserve ownership of
3 > the file that it copy.
4 > rsyc does but how do I use rysnc to copy let say file that are newer
5 > then certain date ?
6 >
7 > I was trying to use:
8 > find /home/myuser/oldir/* -mtime -60 -exec cp {} /home/myuser/newdir/ \;
9 >
10 > but cp does not preserve file ownership either.
11
12 Basic Unix principle:
13 Only root can do it because a regular user cannot chown an object
14
15 cp -a
16
17 or
18
19 cp -pr
23 > I was planning on copying hylafax-files (faxes) from one server to
24 > another and most of those files have ownership "uucp:60002 or "uucp:uucp"
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com