From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pending layman directory "relocation"
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:10:49
1 On 2 Mar 2010, at 15:51, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > ... I'm happy with the new default arrangement: mainstream
3 > packages under /usr/portage; layman overlays under /var/lib/layman;
4 > and
5 > my own variations under /usr/local/portage. Nice clean boundaries.
6
7 Not that I really care, but I find this layout somewhat illogical.
8
9 It makes perfect sense to me that /usr/local/portage should be the
10 local version of /usr/portage
11
12 But the different Unix directories are supposed to have different
13 general purposes. I don't remember the details of that off the top of
14 my head, but putting something in "/var" ought to indicate that it is
15 somewhat different in nature &/or purpose to something in "/usr". The
16 main Portage tree & a layman overlay are not so fundamentally
17 different, IMO.
18
19 Stroller.