From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:53:53
1 On 7 January 2015 13:16:03 GMT+00:00, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 3:36 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Personally, I wouldn't bother, there is not that much of a gain when
6 > > using tmpfs, so if you want to keep all the working files after
7 > > compilation, the extra overhead and complexity of copying to hard
8 > disk
9 > > would make it not worthwhile. Just stick to a spinning disk.
10 >
11 > I've found that compiling on tmpfs has a fairly significant
12 > performance gain, but you'd completely negate it of you copied
13 > everything to a hard drive anyway.
14 >
15 > When you build on a hard drive the filesystem is going to treat all
16 > those intermediate object files with great care and ensure that they
17 > aren't lost in the event of a power failure, forcing them to be
18 > committed to disk within 30 seconds (typically) and blocking IO when
19 > that happens. Then a minute later it is going to go and have to
20 > delete all those files it so carefully committed.
21 >
22 > When you build on tmpfs nothing gets written to your filesystem except
23 > for the final output of the build. All those intermediate files are
24 > deleted having never blocked your disk IO. However, if your goal is
25 > to actually save them anyway, then you might as well just build on
26 > disk - moving files doesn't take all that much IO on most filesystems.
27 >
28 > If your goal is to create tarballs of the saved builds then you're
29 > probably still better off building on tmpfs and creating the tarball
30 > via a hook or something.
31 >
32 > --
33 > Rich
34
35 That's why I thought XFS may help.
36
37 Reports of the speed gain from tmpfs are quite mixed, but I do use it myself.
38 --
39 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.