From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] sorry for fanning flames [site downtime]
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:31:27
1 i'm sorry to everyone, i started a bit of a heated debate.
2
3 i didn't mean to imply that the gentoo sites hosting is less than
4 adequate. I think the gentoo sites do a good job. I couldn't bring up
5 the site for like 3 seconds today, and wouldn't you know it, I
6 mentioned it on the mailing lists, and it wasn't really down at all.
7 my packets probably got lost somewhere.
8
9 I recognize that the forums went down, sure, but like you all said
10 that's not common. The forums are actually quite reliable.
11
12 gentoo.org as a whole has very little interruption. sometimes there
13 are little things, eg broken links, but rarely anything big.
14
15 gentoo-wiki is seperate, this much I concede. i merely meant that the
16 valuable documentation on the wiki disappearing for days at a time kind
17 of pulls the rug out of anyone heavily using it for documentation. and
18 I wish we, as the larger gentoo community, did something about it.
19
20 so in conclusion, sorry for the flames I sparked, and thanks to the
21 gentoo web team for doing a pretty good job overall with all their
22 stuff, even the forums (although I might mention in ending that the
23 unanswered search still takes quite a long time, but it _does_ work).