From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: get process name in c++
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:29:43
1 On 7/6/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Someone mentioned that /proc is deprecated for 2.6? is this correct? Is
3 > there a /sys alternative to /proc/self/status?
4
5 Oh, I don't think /proc itself is deprecated. After all, ps, pstree,
6 top and so on still use it. And it is not mentioned in
7 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt. There are
8 some things in /proc that will go away (/proc/pci, for example), but
9 it seems that /proc should be around for a good while yet. It is
10 theoretically possible that someone could build a kernel without proc
11 filesystem support, but I'm not sure how useful such a kernel would
12 be!
13
14 Also, if I were going to use /proc for this (and I'm not saying I
15 would, I really don't like it, but it's not my project), I would
16 either read /proc/self/cmdline or do a readlink on /proc/self/exe.
17 The readlink option would give you the actual path to the program
18 being run.
19
20 -Richard
21 --