From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Disabling swap & mounting /tmp on tmpfs = new standard?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 18:08:23
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I recently disabled swap and mounted /tmp on tmpfs for a netbook since
3 > the SSD is so slow, and now I'm wondering if that would be a wise move
4 > for all of my Gentoo systems. In what type of situation would it be a
5 > bad idea?
6
7 Instead of disabling swap, just make it small (like 32MB or something;
8 whatever the smallest allowable partition size is). The kernel needs
9 swap to operate optimally, even if it's extremely small. Just make sure
10 it's there.
11
12 Mounting /tmp as tmpfs improves speed, so no problems there. You might
13 want to mount /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs too, that will give nice speed
14 gains during emerge (if you have the RAM for it; a 2GB /var/tmp/portage
15 should be enough for almost anything except OpenOffice, you'll have to
16 umount to emerge that one.)