From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openrc->systemd command comparison
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:57:43
1 Am 01.04.2015 um 10:04 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:55 AM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de
3 > <mailto:marcec@×××.de>> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Am Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:05:50 -0600
6 > > schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com
7 > <mailto:caneko@×××××.com>>:
8 > >
9 > > [...]
10 > > > With systemd you don't need this, since it can track the real
11 > state of its
12 > > > services thanks to cgroups. And kill *really* kills all the processes
13 > > > associated to a service, something that OpenRC, by design, cannot do.
14 > > [...]
15 > >
16 > > I wonder if that's accurate. I know that OpenRC also uses cgroups
17 > for grouping
18 > > services, but how much does it actually exploit them?
19 >
20 > According to [1]:
21 >
22 > """
23 > # If you have cgroups turned on in your kernel, this switch controls
24 > # whether or not a group for each controller is mounted under
25 > # /sys/fs/cgroup.
26 > [...]
27 > # Set this to YES if yu want all of the processes in a service's cgroup
28 > # killed when the service is stopped or restarted.
29 > # This should not be set globally because it kills all of the service's
30 > # child processes, and most of the time this is undesirable. Please set
31 > # it in /etc/conf.d/<service>.
32 > # To perform this cleanup manually for a stopped service, you can
33 > # execute cgroup_cleanup with /etc/init.d/<service> cgroup_cleanup or
34 > # rc-service <service> cgroup_cleanup.
35 > # rc_cgroup_cleanup="NO"
36 > """
37 >
38 > So it's available if you have cgroups turned on, and then you need to
39 > set it up globally (which is not recommended), or by service. That
40 > wasn't available when I stopped using OpenRC; but then again, that was
41 > almost five years ago.
42 >
43 > Is nice to see OpenRC catching up to systemd.
44 >
45 > Regards.
46 >
47 > [1] https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/etc/rc.conf.Linux
48 > --
49 > Canek Peláez Valdés
50 > Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
51 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
52
53 so somebody showed you that you were spouting crap and all you are
54 saying it 'that is nice'.
55
56 Well done.
59 Btw, if you need a 'cheat sheet' for INIT the whole thing is broken
60 beyond repair.