From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice Needed: Conexant HD-Audio noisy audio
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:21:28
1 On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Ignas Anikevicius
2 <anikevicius@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Dear all,
4 >
5 > It's been quite a while since I noticed this annoying behaviour, but I
6 > could not find any information what might cause this. So the problem is
7 > that at lower volumes my HD-Audio with Conexant becomes very noisy and
8 > this is regardless of the sound system or speakers/headphones I use.
9 >
10 > The noise can be described, as high pitched, sandy texture noise
11 > heard during more expressive parts of the music or speech.
12 >
13 > I experience this on two Thinkpads (x200s and x200) and it very evident
14 > when I connected external speakers, they produced a lot of this noise,
15 > or maybe I just could hear it better, because of the frequency response
16 > of the speakers.
17 >
18 > Does anybody have some similar issues?
19 >
20 > My current audio setup:
21 >
22 >    * PulseAudio (but the problem is experienced with ALSA as well)
23 >    * MPD for music playing
24 >    * Conexant and other related modules compiled in, power-saving
25 >      features enabled.
26 >
27 > What I have tried to eliminate the noise:
28 >
29 >    * Various levels of Master,PCM,Headphone channels via Alsamixer
30 >    * Increase the sample rate in MPD settings.
31 >
32 > The noise can be clearly head when I Have the following setting on my
33 > Alsamixer:
34 >
35 >    * Master ~50
36 >    * PCM 100
37 >    * Headphone 100
38 >
39 > Does anybody has any thoughts on why am I experiencing this?
40 >
41 > Thanks a lot,
42 > Ignas A.
43 >
44
45 Hi Ignas,
46 I've never used pulse-audio so I cannot help with that, but with
47 plain Alsa I had a similar (but not identical) problem recently. In my
48 case the distorted sound was primarily from my microphone and not, as
49 I remember it, from playback. Turned out it was a control I hadn't
50 looked at before called 'Digital' which apparently mixes audio in the
51 sound chip and for whatever reason was very dirty sounding on the mic
52 side.
53
54 Note that my audio is not Conextent but rather something called
55 SupremeFX X-Fi (Creative Labs maybe?) so your results will almost
56 certainly vary. A little machine info is below.
57
58 Good luck,
59 Mark
60
61 c2stable ~ # lspci | grep Audio
62 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD
63 Audio Controller
64 02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio
65 Controller (rev a1)
66 04:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
67 Controller (rev a1)
68 c2stable ~ #
69
70 c2stable ~ # lsmod
71 Module Size Used by
72 vmnet 32295 15
73 vmblock 9667 0
74 vsock 35510 2
75 vmci 55922 2 vsock
76 vmmon 56524 5
77 vboxnetadp 4720 0
78 vboxnetflt 13187 0
79 vboxdrv 1760740 3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
80 nvidia 12297407 104
81 snd_hda_codec_hdmi 22531 8
82 snd_hda_codec_analog 80332 1
83 sky2 42693 0
84 i2c_i801 7674 0
85 snd_hda_intel 21907 17
86 snd_hda_codec 73637 3
87 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel
88 snd_hwdep 5508 1 snd_hda_codec
89 snd_pcm 74632 7 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
90 snd_timer 18381 5 snd_pcm
91 snd 58592 33
92 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
93 soundcore 6750 1 snd
94 snd_page_alloc 7340 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
95 agpgart 31204 1 nvidia
96 c2stable ~ #