From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing a package from being updated
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:34:58
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 13:50 on Saturday 23 October 2010, daid kahl
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > > Don't worry about it. I'm not sure if portage-2.1.9.20 will deal with
5 > > this automagically (I *think* it does these days and 2.2 definitely
6 > > does) but if not just
7 > >
8 > > emerge -C shadow ; emerge -1 shadow
9 > >
10 > > then emerge -avuND world.
11 > >
12 > > No good technical reason for doing shadow first apart from getting it
13 > > over and done with while you watch and confirm it works fine. Then do
14 > > world and wander over to the kettle letting portage go on with doing
15 > > it's thing unattended
16 >
17 > For my own comfort, on a case like this, if I didn't have the portage
18 > FEATURE buildpkg or buildsyspkg turned on, I'd make sure that was on
19 > and that I had a functional backup of shadow to install from binary,
20 > in case something went very wrong. But I tend to be extremely
21 > cautious in terms of how I maintain my system, and a lot of that
22 > caution is just paranoia.
23
24 Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you :-)
25
26 Or in this case, it doesn't mean it's not justified. I now have buildpkg
27 enabled for @system - everything else I can re-run emerge to fix.
28
29 After watching portage break python *twice* exactly a year apart, watching the
30 exciting developments in python-3, after some horrendous shadow breakage 3
31 years ago and the convoluted upgrade path for bash 2 years ago, and someone's
32 b0rked commit of glibc-2.12 to the tree quite recently, I feel entirely
33 justified in keeping binary copies of @system around.
34
35 It long ago stopped being paranoia and started being good old common sense
36 (right up there with backups).
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com