From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and VPN, plus security in generla
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:47:47
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 14:46:34 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
3 >
4 >> There's typically no need to use a VPN when accessing an HTTPS website,
5 >> as the SSL/TLS already provides most of the privacy that a VPN would
6 >> supply. The extra that the VPN gives you in this case is to hide which
7 >> websites you're visiting. So the data is protected in both instances,
8 >> but the VPN also hides the connection metadata. So if you use just
9 >> SSL/TLS then your ISP can deduce which bank you have an account with.
10 >> If you use the VPN as well, then cant even tell that.
11 > Making a VPN useful in those oppressive regimes that require ISPs to log
12 > all web metadata for all customers.
13 >
14 > There is another use for a VPN, to spoof your address to the site that
15 > you are connecting to. For example, some BBC video services are only
16 > available in UK (when I don't need them because I can watch it on TV) so
17 > a VPN in the UK allows me to watch the stuff I have paid for when I am on
18 > holiday.
19 >
20 > Some of what Dale wants can be achieved to a greater or lesser extent
21 > with Tor, so he should be looking at that too.
25 All this is interesting reading, links included. I sort of had a idea
26 on what a VPN did but wasn't real sure if it would really accomplish
27 much for the hassle. If things like my bank don't support it, well,
28 that's what I really would like to protect. The site I saw mention this
29 doesn't concern me. It's just a video site. With my slow DSL, I like
30 to download TV shows etc to watch locally. Doing it over the internet
31 with my slow DSL doesn't work. Same with youtube.
32
33 I have tried tor before and it seems to slow things down quite a lot,
34 all the extra server hops I guess. Also, some sites track where a user
35 logs in and if they all of a sudden login in from some foreign country
36 or something, they flag it and don't let you in, which could be a good
37 thing I guess. I had that happen with facebook and some other sites. I
38 was just playing around with tor and it set off alarm bells on most all
39 the regular sites I visit. I had security emails and such in my email
40 box from just about all of them I went to. Good thing is, they did
41 notice that something was not right about it. They know I use my
42 desktop puter which is always in the same place. lol If I ever move,
43 that could be fun.
44
45 Reason for the post, curiosity for the most part but if it was easy to
46 use and usable without a lot of hassle, I might would do it. I was also
47 curious as to just how secure a Linux setup is as well. I figured it
48 would be better than windoze for sure but still curious.
49
50 Thanks to all.
51
52 Dale